Sunday, October 28, 2012

Forget what I said


Motivation Monday
 
As your kids grow they may forget what you said, but won't forget how you made them feel – Kevin Heath

"It goes in one ear and out the other".  That is what I always heard growing up.  And it is so often true that our children do not remember the words that come out of our mouth.  They have usually forgotten the words within seconds.  However, the feelings they have as we say them will last a long time.  

When I tell my 3 year old she cannot do something she has started to telling me "you hurt my feelings."  At first this comment frustrated me because I thought she was misunderstanding what it meant to have her feelings hurt.  But the reality is that when I tell her "no" or "you cannot" or even, "do this instead" there are hurt feelings.  She had an expectation of one thing and I have said that cannot happen.  Her "feelings" are hurt.  This may not lead to a change in circumstance but I need to allow her to share those feelings we me.  In the end she will not remember what it was she was hurt by, but she will remember if I let her share her feelings about it. 

No comments: