Sunday, August 12, 2012

Our first to months as parents

A few years ago my husband and I embarked on a journey; a journey in adoption.  I wanted to share that journey with you.  

April 11, 2009

When last I wrote, I had been a mom for a total of 15 hours. I have now survived 2 months. I was talking with someone recently that has a similar experience we began discussing the frustrations and joys of being a parent. She found that though the frustration of being a parent are certainly still there, every time she encounters one, she is able to better handle it because she remembers back to when she was in agony over waiting. 

I think it is similar with me. When 2 AM roles around and Nadia is up or it’s her cranky time, I can close my eyes and remember back a few months to the heartache and feeling of abandonment. I then am better able to “hear” past the loud shrieking sound and care for this wonderful creature God has entrusted us with. However, that’s just how I’m feeling today. If you’re a parent, you know, that could change at any moment. 

Nadia is wonderful. She is more and more alert every day. She is smiling at Scott and me, and at anything that she likes. She also smiles at the monkeys that hang on her wall and at the cat. She has about 2-3 hours of very awake and happy time in the morning then naps on and off most of the day. At night, she again has about 2-3 hours of alert time and it depends on the day and her mood if she is happy or cranky. She gets a bath every night and this is by far her favorite part of the day. It’s probably mine and Scott’s too. She is just so happy and looks so cute during her “tubby” time and she knows when it’s coming too. She can be the crabbiest baby and you put her down on her changing table, take her clothes off and she smiles, knowing the “tubby” is coming. She is kicking so much in the tub that in 5 minutes half the water has splashed out. 

Nighttime is right on track. She goes down between 8 and 9 then sleeps until around 2 and sometimes 3, she eats and goes right back down until about 6:30 – 7. At this point she is up for the morning and happy, sometimes not even hungry.
She has her 2 month check up next week which comes with her first immunization. I’m sure she will do just fine. Let’s hope I do just fine too. 

She is getting so big; I think she will be at least 11lbs. The Birth to 3 program tells us she is a little ahead of the curve in gross motor skills. Nadia thinks she has complete control of her head. I call her my little “bobble head” because that’s what it looks like. Her head just bobbles all around. Sometimes she even gets mad if you try to hold her head, she wants control. We could have a very stubborn little girl on our hands. She is such a little snuggle bug too. When you kiss her on the cheek, she moves her head so you get her lips. It’s so sweet. 

She has now met all her Great-grandparents and they are all just doting over her. Great Grandma Eva has threatened to put Nadia under her coat and bring her home with her. Great Grandpa is sad because he does not get to see her enough and Great-Grandma Sanborn got the biggest smile out of Nadia. My parents and Scott’s parents are of course in love. “Crazy Grandma” has baby sat a few times and my mom “Grammy B” is traveling with us to Dallas at the end of April. Both Grandpas put up a good front pretending they aren’t too interested but you can just see their hearts melt as soon as they see Nadia. Everyone who meets little Nadia falls in love with her, and how could you not? She is sent from heaven.

So, how are the Hall’s doing? Well we are not quite on cloud 9 anymore. Reality and sleepless nights have set in, but we are incredibly happy and blessed, and would like to take a quick moment to say thank you to every single one of our family and friends. Scott, I and now Nadia are so very lucky to have people in our lives like them. There has been such an outpouring of support that I get a little choked up every time I think about it. So to all of them:

THANK YOU and May God reward your love and generosity to us from the bottom of our hearts

No comments: